Panel discussion on “Rethinking Education Pedagogy for the Next Generation: Lessons from COVID-19”
A Webinar Panel discussion on the topic “Rethinking Education Pedagogy for the Next
Generation: Lessons from COVID-19” was organized on May 8, 2020. The panel was
chaired by Prof Mehraj-ud-din, Vice-Chancellor, Central University of Kashmir and the
panellist included Shri Arun Manhas, KAS, Project Director. Samagra Shiksha and Shri
Nandan Kuthiala, Trustee, Jodhamal Public School. The expert comments were made by
Prof R D Sharma, Former Vice-Chancellor University of Jammu; Prof Ashok Aima, Vice-
Chancellor ,Central University of Jammu and Prof Manoj Dhar, Vice-Chancellor University
of Jammu. Sh. B R Sharma, IAS (Retd), Chairman, IIPA JK Branch presided over the
function. The key highlights during the webinar were
- COVID-19 has given a tremendous opportunity to the education sector to reinvent, reorganize and reform itself in terms of pedagogy, examination and extension activities.
- In light of the Digital India initiative, many Universities and other educational institutions can leverage technological platforms to provide 24x7 teaching - learning processes.
- There is a tremendous need to build the technological capacities of the teachers and the institutions especially in the semi-urban and rural areas in order to bridge the digital divide.
- There is an urgent need to explore and possibilities of sustainable reforms in the examination and evaluation processes which can go beyond the pandemic.
- The institutions should invest in building the technological infrastructure which can meet the needs of the teachers, scholars and students even in the future.
- Government should create digital platforms through which synergies can be created by the sharing of resources, best practices and infrastructure.
- In J&K under the Sarv Shiksha Abhiyan, prior to pandemic, a number of initiatives have already been taken through JK Knowledge Network. This will surely help the school students in the backward areas to get access to global knowledge and help them to become globally competitive
Prof Alka Sharma, Hony Secretary moderated the discussion and Dr. Anil Gupta, Joint Secretary coordinated the webinar and presented the formal vote of thanks. Prominent participants included Dr. Ashok Bhan, Former DGP; Sh. K B Jandial, Er. J B S Johar, Sh. Vikrant Kuthiala, Sh. Vinod Malhota, Sh. K B Jandial, Dr. Komal Nagar, Prof Rekha Choudhary, Sh G M Andrabi, Prof Afzal Qadri and other members of IIPA.